Pages

Friday, March 21, 2008

I swear to God I did NOT do this on purpose!

Pete is getting the baby ready for bed. Prior to this, she has her bedtime snack, complete with Easter Bunny huggie toy and her favorite Mardi Gras beads.

Snack finished. Toddles into the TV room and announces, "Watch Barwy". Pokes around the shelves where I keep the videos and DVDs (including the Television Specials and Songs of the 70s) looking for the one to bring to me, even though she knows good and well I don't want her grubby little hands all over the discs. She gets more insistent: "WATCH BARWY!" Pete's smiling though his teeth. ("Now there's two of them", he's thinking.)

I don't feel like going through my electronics routine involving 3 remotes and the DVD player, so I just pull up the DVR recording of Manilow Live! Works like a charm. She's dancing with the Easter Bunny toy around the room, punctuating her routine with "That's Barwy" and "Barwy singing".

She's a little over two. 28 months to be exact.

20 minutes of video (after "Bandstand Boogie", if you know the show I'm talking about) she's getting tired, even if she won't admit it, and is carted off to a toothbrush, pajamas, and bed.

I don't have time to watch these shows, especially in front of her, all the time, so she must have picked up on these songs very fast. I know there's worse out there but I have no intention of explaining "Somewhere In the Night" to her. She'll figure it out when she gets older. ;-)

No, our little girl will NOT be joining us next week - we just generally don't believe in letting kids go to concerts until they're well into their teens. Besides, there's only so much Pete can take.

Now I have to convince him this was not a plan. Must be genetic. Yeah, that's the ticket. I was only a few years older than her when I started recognizing Barry's songs (starting with "Mandy"). It'll be fun to see where this goes.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious! Speaking from experience though, once they pick up on the music it stays with them forever. Case in point, my 26 year old daughter belting out "Can't Smile" last month with Barry. There MUST be a Barry gene..must be!

    ReplyDelete