Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Where Do I Begin

Moonstone found the following interview online and posted it on her blog. This is the best interview we've heard from Barry in a looooong time. Best = most open and most vulnerable.

http://luxurylv.com/2010/07/up-close-and-personal/6230

I didn't blow off the birthday wishes on June 17. Or forget. I always want to come up with something new and nice to say and every year I come up short.

I always go back to the first post I made for June 17.
http://youbeginagain.blogspot.com/2008/06/happy-birthday-barry.html

I've always enjoyed Barry's music, almost as long as I can remember. Whether it was a safe retreat, a daily break, or a major emotional renewal it was there to rely on. But the greatest moment of all was when my eldest child finally understood music for the first time - it was when she caught sight of the 1st TV special.

Variety specials in the '70s were one-shot deals, a passing fad. Everyone and their dog had at least one. And they really were "special" - you could count on seeing them only once. The idea of multiple reruns on dozens of networks via cable or satellite hadn't taken hold yet. The Betamax was on the market but they were huge and awkward and expensive and most people didn't have them - or use them to save their favorite shows.

A lot of good came out of these promo pieces years later.

My favorite line from the above interview as printed: "I’d like my tombstone to read: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music."

Barry, you're in great company:
"He who sings, prays twice." --St. Augustine

1 comment: